Day to Night: Topshop Cap Sleeve Dress

Saturday 29 December 2012

I really enjoyed doing the imaginary online shopping for my virtual Christmas Party post and that got me thinking about doing more. I wouldn't say I am a particularly fashionable person - I just wear what I find comfortable and what suits me - but I like putting outfits together, so I thought I might give this 'Day to Night' feature a go. As a student on a budget, I had to be wise with my money and learnt to buy staple pieces of clothing that were versatile enough to be worn again and again (Because although we'd all love to wear an outfit only once, who really has the money to continually buy new outfits for every event?). All of the outfits in this feature will centre around one item and will cost less than £100.

As Christmas has just passed and new year is approaching, that generally means spending more money than any other time during the rest of the year, I was thinking of how you can buy some staple items in your wardrobe and wear them to a number of events, during the day and night. For today's 'Day to Night', Topshop's Cap Sleeve Flippy Dress in Bottle Green is the item that will be worn from day to night. I love these dresses, as they are super versatile, come in a great range of colours, can be worn all year round and are flattering to pretty much every body shape. Although the bottle green shade is reminiscent of my secondary school days, I think it's a perfect winter shade and perfect for the holiday season.
I am a big fan of cardigans, whether they are chunky or fitted. This cream chunky New Look knit (£17.99) is the perfect juxtaposition against the more fitted form of the dress and would look lovely worn open and slightly oversized. The black accessories complement the cream and green hues perfectly. The shopper from Zara (£19.99) is a steal and is the perfect size whether you use it for work, shopping, uni/college. Classic black flats are great for day time and these shoes from Boohoo (£20.00) are gorgeous. The leopard's face detail is lovely and adds a bit of extra pizzazz to the outfit. The silver heart earrings from River Island (£3.00) and black snood from H&M (£6.99) are some cute finishing touches to this day look. 

For this night out look, this River Island necklace (£12.00) is a nice statement piece, which will jazz up this plain dress. The great thing about this dress is that it gives you free reign with how you want to accessorize it. The H&M box clutch (£19.99) is lovely and is just big enough to hold your essentials, but not too small that you can't put anything in. These cut-out shoes from New Look (£19.99) are on my to-buy list, as although they're fairly plain, they've got the lovely cut out detail and look more expensive than they actually are. To finish off this outfit, a fur stole such as this one from H&M (£6.99 in the sale) and a slick of red lipstick (e.g. Rio Rio by Topshop £8) are perfect and glam for the wintery nights ahead.

How would you pair this Topshop dress? What do you think of this feature?

Thanks for reading. xoxo, Joy

(Images from Topshop, Boohoo, H&M, New Look, River Island)

2 comments: