After writing my review of L'Oreal Voluminous, I decided to research what I could do to prevent it from smudging. I probably should have done it sooner, but it's always been one of those things that I'd tell myself to do, but never actually get round to it... (Does anyone else do that?)
Just by typing in "How to prevent mascara from smudging?" into Google came up with approximately 65,500 results! I just took a look at the first few links and came across a good list of tips and tricks. You may or may not already know them, but I thought I'd share the list here anyway:
- Give yourself credit: When applying mascara, use a credit card or business card to act as a shield between your lashes and your lids. Any slip-ups will go on the card instead of you.
- Soak it in: After applying eye cream or foundation around the eye area, give the product a chance to soak into the skin before applying your mascara. Skin that's too hydrated can attract smudges.
- Powder room: Apply a light dusting of powder around your eyes to help suppress oil.
- Towel it off: Thin, even coats of mascara are one of the simplest ways to prevent mascara from making a downward slide. To avoid clumpy, clustered lashes, just run the wand over a tissue to create a light-on-the-product coating. Let each layer dry completely before applying the next.
- Get back to your roots: Sweep on mascara from root to tip, tapering off at the ends. Less product on the tips can help prevent inadvertent slips onto the skin.
- You're in the clear: Use a clear coat of mascara once your mascara has fully dried for the finishing touch. This extra step acts similarly to a hair gloss, locking in color and protecting your lashes.
I decided to give the tips above a go and I have to say, I really wish I'd researched this sooner! Now that I know some tricks to keep my mascara from smudging, I've changed my mind about L'Oreal Voluminous - I'm definitely going to be repurchasing it! :D
Do any of you find that your mascara smudges throughout the day? What do you do to counteract that?
Thank you for reading. xoxo, Joy