My hair has never been thick, but it had recently been feeling really thin and damaged. I also felt that I could have made a wig using the hair that fell out when brushing or washing my hair! I have tried to combat this before by doing the '4 Week No Heat' Challenge and using products, such as the Lush New Shampoo Bar, but this time I decided to try the Nioxin System Kit 2, which is designed for fine, natural hair which is noticeably thinning. I'd read good reviews about this and it claims that '70% of users notice thicker, denser looking hair in 4 weeks'. I have been using this Nioxin Kit for over 1 month now and thought I would give you a run down of my thoughts on it.
The kit comes with a 150ml Cleanser, 150ml Scalp Revitaliser and 40ml Scalp and Hair Treatment - aka a shampoo, conditioner and leave in treatment. I felt that for the price of the system (Around £25), you don't get a lot of product, however the shampoo and conditioner have lasted for a month and half so far (I wash my hair with these products 2-3x a week) and I feel like there's still about half left in the bottle. I think the leave in treatment will last me ages, as I don't use much each time and I will continue to use it even once the shampoo and conditioner are finished.
The Cleanser is a green, gel like texture which kind of reminds me of a gel facial cleanser and the Revitaliser is a typical, white conditioner consistency. They both have a subtle minty smell, which isn't my favourite, but isn't too overpowering. The Cleanser lathers well and my hair felt clean, but not stripped and the Revitaliser gives the hair a nice amount of slip once applied. The Scalp and Hair Treatment is a foam-like texture, which you apply all over the scalp. I was a bit sceptical of putting it near my roots as I was worried it would make my hair greasy or feel like there was product build up, but it didn't. I was unsure how many pumps to use each time, so I generally stick to 2-3 and hope for the best. The instructions say that it "may cause temporary redness and a warming sensation following application", which scared me a little when I read it, but I have never experienced this.
During the use of this kit, I have also stopped using heat on my hair. I still blow dry my fringe, but I don't use my straighteners or curlers unless I'm going out. After using this system, my hair feels quite dry and I feel like I don't need to wash my hair as often. Every now and again, instead of using this every time I wash my hair, I have been using it twice a week and using another shampoo and deep conditioner the other time.
The Nioxin System claims to "deliver 5 effects for thicker looking hair":
1. Reduces hair fall due to breakage - I have definitely noticed that I have less hair around the shower drain after washing my hair.
2. Delivers denser-looking hair - I feel like my hair retains its natural bounce a little more and looks more voluminous. Due to less styling of my hair, I have found that my hair doesn't look as flat either.
3. Amplifies hair texture - I think that by making my hair feel drier, it has given my hair some texture. My hair no longer has that silky, slippy, first day hair feeling and instead retains my natural wave quite well.
4. Helps strengthen hair resilience against cuticle damage - In combination with using less heat on my hair, I have noticed that I have less split ends.
5. Cleanses excessive sebum from scalp - This has definitely happened, as I feel like my hair is quite dry and I feel like I need to wash my hair less often. I usually try to combat this by using a hair oil through the ends to try to help my hair retain some moisture.
I am happy that I have been using this kit. My hair will never be thick, but I have seen some great results. I am sceptical about what will happen once I finish these products and if I don't continue using them, as a lot of hair thinning products require constant use and results stop after stopping use. I will do an update a few weeks after I finish the products if there is anything to note. I can't see myself using this as my only shampoo and conditioner combination as I like to chop and change the products I use, but I would definitely repurchase the products. The kit is a great way to try these products to see if they're for you and I think you can buy each of the products individually in bigger quantities, which is also useful. If you're into SLS free and natural products, then this range will not be for you as you can see the ingredients list, above, is fairly extensive.
Have any of you tried this Nioxin System Kit?
Thank you for reading. xoxo, Joy